When I initially saw the Pretend and Play® Ice Creamshop from Learning Resources, I thought it would be a great toy for the summer. I don’t know about you, but I haven’t seen much of a summer yet, but that hasn’t stopped Beth having a great time pretending to make and eat ice cream even if it hasn’t really been hot enough to enjoy the real thing! In fact most visitors that come to our house now get treated to a calorie free ice cream!
- ages 3+
- role play
- Chocolate sauce
- Banana that splits in two
- 2 x Ice cream cones
- Sundae bowl
- Ice cream bowl
- 2 x spoons
- Ice cream tub
- 4 x Ice cream flavours
- Ice cream scoop (with suction for real scooping)
- Cream topping with a cherry on the top
Attention to detail
I love the thought that goes in to Learning Resources toys, the ice cream scoop for example has a suction pad attached to it so you can really pick up the ice cream with it and press the button to release it in to the bowl or cone.
The chocolate sauce bottle has to be my favourite part of this set, at first I thought what a great idea to have a brown lace coming out of the bottle to look like chocolate sauce. Later as I was watching Beth play as she had gone particularly quiet I realised why – her full concentration was needed to gently feed the brown lace back in to the sauce bottle, this was followed by a loud a cheer as she squeezed the bottle with all her strength and the brown lace came whizzing out again. Particularly at Beth’s age (nearly 3), this is quite a skill as it requires a lot of patience and concentration to get the lace back in to the bottle but the reward seems to be worth it!
Learning Resources Quality
As with all Learning Resources toys, the quality of the Pretend and Play® Ice Cream Shop is brilliant, even the ice cream tub to hold the ice cream is made of nice heavy-duty cardboard and the whole set feels very durable. All of the items are a nice size for little hands, while still looking life-like.
Learn While Having Fun
There’s lots to learn about while having fun with the Pretend and Play® Ice Cream Shop:
- Fractions: by splitting the banana in two they are already learning about 1/2’s and whole objects
- Colours: identifying the ice cream by either its colour or making up a flavour for each of them
- Counting: how many spoons does the shop have and how many ice creams you can stack on top of each other before they all topple over
As well as being used as a pretend ice cream shop, Beth has also found other uses for the set – the cream topping with the cherry on the top or the ice creams themselves are often used as hats for customers who visit the shop.
Where to Buy
Ends 10th August 2012
How to enter:
- Only entries made through Rafflecopter will be counted (enter by using your email address or Facebook account)
- Like Learning Resources Facebook page and follow Learning Resources on Twitter
- For additional entries, you can also leave a comment letting me know your favourite flavour ice cream, tweet the competition link, follow Mummy Rated on Twitter or Like the Mummy Rated Facebook page
The competition is open to residents of the UK and Ireland only.